Circular polarization question

Being that I am new to the Satellites and to AMSAT(new member as of Dayton
2002), I have a quick and maybe a dumb question. I just acquired the m2
2MCP14 and 436CP30 antennas. I see that there is an option that allows you
to switch between LHCP and RHCP. How useful is it to have this ability.
When I'm receiving a signal that is RHCP and I'm set for LHCP or vice
versa, what amount of loss will I experience. Is it equal to the amount of
loss experienced between Horizontal and Vertical polarization on the linear
setup? Thank you for any assistance.

73's de wo5m

--
Randy Mclean