HELP: Question for M2 Antenna 23CM35 users...

I recently installed an M2 23CM35 L-band antenna for use as an uplink on
AO-40 but am getting a really bizarre SWR curve.  At 1250MHz, I get a 1.5:1
SWR; at 1269MHz, a 2.1:1 SWR and 1.2:1 at 1280MHz (measured with a Diamond
SX-1000 SWR Meter).  This is the best I've been able to get by adjusting the
distance between the dipole feed and the first driven element and,
unfortunately, the poorest match seems to be right at the uplink frequencies
for L1/L2 on AO-40.

Any one seen this before?  Any ideas as to what to do/look at next?

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

73s,

Rick
KG6IAL