RE: Patch plans anyone?

Folks

Firstly thanks to ALL who have replied on and off list. I can't keep up with
all the incoming mail on this subject!

My original idea was to make a patch array using a three layer design, top
being the patch, middle a ground plane and bottom a microstrip power
splitter. The patches would be fed with vias from the power splitter through
the ground plane to the patch.

This would, in practice, be implemented with two double-sided pieces of
board (RT Duroid low loss type) with the ground planes adjacent to each
other.

I'm now thinking that although the microstrip power splitter will be simple
enough, there's a problem generating CP on a PC Board substrate. So Bob
K5GNA has suggested still fabricating the patches on PC Board but only
singly sided with the dielectric [board] facing outwards.

To give you an idea of what I'm on about see...

http://www.nasatech.com/Briefs/July99/LEW16713.html

and

http://ctd.grc.nasa.gov/5640/90_14444sm.html

Commercial 19dBic RHCP patch arrays are available (at a price).

As Fred has said, the benefit of using PC Board is that it's extremely
reproducible.

Again thanks for all the references.

73 Howard G6LVB