From: cbuttsch@slonet.org [mailto:cbuttsch@slonet.org]
Sent: May 30, 2002 3:33 PM
To: Renaud, Russ; Howard Long
Cc: 'amsat-bb@amsat.org'
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] re: Patch plans anyone?

Russ and Howard.  After quite a search I found the article in the AMSAT
NA Journal addressing the subject of patch antennas used on AO-40:
"AMSAT Phase 3D Antenna Design Review HF/UHF/Microwave Antennas"
by Stan Wood and Dick Jansson.  AMSAT JOURNAL March/April 1993 page 18.
     There are some very practical tips here that Stan uncovered which
should be of value.  There is no reason why the patches need be round,
as square is just as good and a bit easier to calculate and certainly
easier to fabricate!  Square patches are 0.47 wave on a side while
round patches are.54 wavelength.  Spacing off the ground plane is
about 0.01 wavelength when air/vacuum is used.  Cliff Buttschardt K7RR