Re: AMSAT-BB-digest V2002 #162- X-rays in space

Dear William,
                    Many Indian satellites have been flown with X-ray and
Gamma-ray detectors.
                   Our first satellite Aryabhata was infact an X-ray
satellite measuring low-energy X-rays using a single proportional counter.
                  SROSS-C,C1,C2 carried NaI solid state detectors powered by
high voltages of the order of 1KV measuring high energy Gamma Rays.
                   Couple of years ago we flew three pointed mode
proportional counters and a X-ray sky monitor on IRS-P3 satellite which had
capability to steer the satelitte towards the objects of interest.
                    The next Geo-satellite GSAT-II will carry a high-energy
and low-energy Solar X-ray Monitors.
                    Further to all this there is Astrosat in the pipeline
which will carry high-pressure Xenon counters in addition to number of
instruments in the whole wavelength band.
                    This being the case we are not interested in another
X-ray monitor on VUSAT. We would like to conserve as much weight, volume and
power and keep the whole system KISS. I request you to drop this idea for
the present and concentrate only on VUSAT transponder part.
73
de
-nagesh
co-ordinator, Amsat-India