Re: How many x-ray in space ?

William -

Ron presented some very good references.  The Geiger-Muller tube has been
used for
measurement on satellites since Explorer 1, the first US satellite launched
in 1958.

http://www-spof.gsfc.nasa.gov/Education/wgeiger.html

That was the single scientific instrument on Explorer 1 lead by chief
scientist Dr. James Van Allen.  This instrument on follow-up satellites
(both Russian and US) established and confirmed the existence of radiation
belts surrounding the earth, named the "Van Allen" radiation belts.

All of his papers for this work are available
http://www.lib.uiowa.edu/spec-coll/Bai/halas.htm

Here is a link on the Explorer 1 and 3 spacecraft.  Explorer 3 carried a
tape recorder than recorded to its limit of 128, the number of counts per
second.
http://www-spof.gsfc.nasa.gov/Education/wexp13.html

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/ask_astro/answers/970228a.html

w9gb