RE: How many x-ray in space ?

William,

I am no expert, but it seems like you may have some confusion on
 what you are wanting to measure.  X-rays are not the same as
Gamma rays.  X-rays are lower in energy and I don't think they
will penetrate your box.  That is not true of Gamma rays, they
will get in.

If you want to measure Gamma rays, I think the normal background
count will run a few counts per minute.  Unless you have a lot
of granite near you.  Then it will be about double.  It has been
MANY years ago, but I seem to remember a "hot" lab source running
a few counts per second (25?).

You should go to:

http://www.rentron.com/geiger.htm or

http://www.imagesco.com/catalog/geiger/geiger.html or

http://www.gibsonteched.net/vk2645.html

I have no affiliation with any of these, but their info should be
useful.

One final note, your neon bulb will have different sensitivities
between light and dark.  The cheapest bulbs have only neon in them
so the dark trigger voltage is quite a bit higher than the light
voltage.  That is why some cheap neon panel lights begin to flicker
at night.  The slightly more expensive bulbs have a bit of Radon
gas added to prevent this, but that would contaminate your experiment.

I suggest you measure the firing and quenching voltage on your lamp(s)
and find one with the biggest difference.  Then keep it dark for all
your tests.

BTW, X-rays are hard to design a detector for.  The best x-ray detector
is the fastest Black & White film you can buy.  Keep one roll on the
ground and sent one up in a thin, light proof holder.  "Push" develop
them both to the highest ASA (ISO) you can and then compare them.
X-rays will fog the film.

As I said, I will defer to the experts but this is my general
understanding of things.

Hope this helps.

Ron, AG5RS