From: "Estes Wayne-W10191" <W10191@motorola.com>
To: <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 6:22 PM
Subject: RE: [amsat-bb] Dayton 2003

> Cliff wrote:
>
> Why not consider doing a trial run at Ft Worth this year?  Nov is not
> all that far off and this is something requiring that it be done fairly
> well the first time.  I'm going to Texas this year and would be glad to
> help if I can.
>
> Wayne replies:
>
> A first-class satellite station at Dayton wouldn't really be significantly
different than some Field Day satellite stations.  Many of us have
successfully set up a home satellite station at Field Day.  I think we have
enough expertise to get a reliable station working.  What would probably
take the most practice and planning would be the "presentation".  Things
like giant plasma monitor suggested by Gunther.  Or an audio distribution
system to feed multiple loudspeakers and multiple headphones, all with
independent volume controls.  Or just the physical layout of the station
together with the "traditional" AMSAT booth.  At the very least, the Fort
Worth Symposium could include a planning/brainstorming session for a big
Dayton AO40 demo.

> The main AO40 demo station at Dayton should use "full size antennas" with
computer controlled rotors.  Nothing marginal.  Preferably with a backup for
everything (multiple radios, antennas, rotors, computers, etc.)  It would be
useful to demonstrate a deluxe "home" station AND one or more small portable
stations so that visitors can see the two extremes.  We can accommodate more
"first satellite contacts" with multiple stations.