Re: Ham Radio High SPeeed data

A google search for "jarl d-star" yields quite a few hits, but all of
the pages so far are in Japanese only.

>From what little I've seen, the system looks promising but my big
concern is that the physical layer may not incorporate any coding. It
*appears* to be just uncoded GMSK.

This is corroborated by the sensitivity figures in Icom's Dayton
handout. The digital modulation requires more microvolts than FM,
while a well-coded signal should require less.

This affects not only the required transmitter power, but also the
interference susceptibility and the amount of interference that is
created for others. And it affects the ability of the system to
withstand fading, impulse noise and multpath.

Phil