No Subject

20 May 02 00:55:20 BST
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 00:55:20 +0100 (BST)
From: hlong@btinternet.com
To: amsat-bb@amsat.org
Subject: [amsat-bb] Dayton Amsat AO-40 Demo
Sender: owner-AMSAT-BB@AMSAT.Org

Folks,

Thanks to everyone for listening and the few who had a QSO with us at
Dayton. The demo ended up being more of a Q&A session than a
continuous string of QSO's.

We had about 100 folks at the demo. The 40 handout sheets I'd made up
ran out well before we started. FWIW, if you'd like a copy of the
double-sided sheet, it's at http://www.g6lvb.com/DaytonAO-40.doc

The highlight for many of us was Mike N1JEZ's 24GHz demo. I managed
to talk to him via AO-40 on the K band downlink even though he was
barely five yards away ;-)

I contacted a number of stations both prior to and during the demo
including N0AN, WB5GQM, W3PM and K0QQ, as well as a number of others,
but I must apologise that my portable voice recorder stopped
recording.

A couple of people commented how easy I made it look, which is good
in that hopefully we'll get some more on board.

But if you want to know the true story, you only have to look at the
table in my hotel room at http://www.g6lvb.com/images/ts2koops1.jpg.
Here you can see what happened when I had to fix the rig when the CW
key stopped working due to a failed SMD inductor.

A special thanks to VK6WN who helped out enormously by helping me set
up, handing out the sheets and telling me to speak up.

Thanks again,

73 Howard G6LVB