Re: June QST article Satellite DXing "To Go"

I work just the FM sat( I am in the process of putting together a AO-40
station).All I have ever used was QRP 5 watts or less on UO-14, AO-27
(when it was working). Antennas are Eggbeater or 4 element hand held beam
with my mobile rig.

On Mon, 13 May 2002 20:58:50 -0500 "Wayne Estes W9AE"
<w9ae@earthlink.net> writes:
> Today I received the June QST magazine.  At first glance I noticed
> the cover
> article "Satellite DXing To Go".  So I eagerly opened to page 40 to
> read the
> article.
>
> Well, I would like to say nice things about the article, but it's
> really
> hard.  The article doesn't seem to have anything to do with DXing,
> and only
> a little bit to do with "To Go", at least the way I would define
> them.  The
> author packed up about 100 pounds of radios and antennas to work
> UO14 and
> FO20/29.  That's not counting the generator that was needed to power
> the
> 160W amplifier.

160 watts on UO-14. More QRM !

> What really bothers me is the implication that you need 160 watts
> and a 10
> element yagi to access LEO satellites such as UO14 and FO20/29.  The
> author
> did do a bit of 2m terrestrial operation, though.
>
> Am I just in a bad mood?  What do you folks think?
>
> Wayne Estes W9AE
> Mundelein, IL, USA

73
Joe ....AC4NY