Re: June QST article Satellite DXing "To Go"

>Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 20:58:50 -0500
>From: "Wayne Estes W9AE" <w9ae@earthlink.net>
>Subject: [amsat-bb] June QST article Satellite DXing "To Go"
>
>Today I received the June QST magazine.  At first glance I noticed the
cover
>article "Satellite DXing To Go".  So I eagerly opened to page 40 to read
the
>article.

Me too when I got mine. I have been considering putting together a portable
HF station to take with me on my travels and am in the process of getting
callsigns for the countries I visit very often. I though it would be nice to
also work some sat. especially the FM LEOs as they can be done with a FT100
or IC706

>Well, I would like to say nice things about the article, but it's really
>hard.  The article doesn't seem to have anything to do with DXing, and only
>a little bit to do with "To Go", at least the way I would define them.  The
>author packed up about 100 pounds of radios and antennas to work UO14 and
>FO20/29.  That's not counting the generator that was needed to power the
>160W amplifier.

I though he had a bit of over kill and he went on about the mounting of his
antenna but the pictures did nothing to clear up how they were actually
installed. It looked more like and article were he moved his whole station
into an RV.

>What really bothers me is the implication that you need 160 watts and a 10
>element yagi to access LEO satellites such as UO14 and FO20/29.  The author
>did do a bit of 2m terrestrial operation, though.

You are a better man than I. About 3/4 of the way through I got bored and
stopped reading the article.