Re: AO-40 antenna testing and RUDAK

>I'm very pleased to see RUDAK testing resume, but it has also made life
>more confusing, especially if unscheduled testing is needed.  Right now,
>i need some kind of 2.4GHz signal for antenna debugging and most of the
>time, the encoding isn't very important to me.  When i can't hear the
>Main Beacon, i've tried the four RUDAK frequencies and so far, haven't
>heard anything.  What makes this awkward for me is that i can't tell if
>my antenna(s) and/or downconverter are working.
>
>Perhaps this is a question already answered elsewhere...  I understand
>that RUDAK causes interfence with the analog passband, but is the reverse
>also the case?  To wit, what is the reason the MB is turned off during
>RUDAK operation?  If it is off, where else can i find a 2.4GHz signal
>for testing (beside the LEO[s] which so far seem to move too fast for
>an 'armstrong' tracking system)>?
>                                     -- KD6PAG

John,

The RUDAK interference with the beacon / passband is minimal.  The beacon /
passband interference with RUDAK is a big problem.  This is the reason we
have to turn off the beacon and passband when RUDAK is active.  Believe me,
the LAST thing control stations want to do is turn off their "life line" so
if there were any way around it, we wouldn't turn it off.

Unscheduled RUDAK checks are few, far between and of short duration.  There
has been one so far for just a few minutes over Australia.  With these rare
exceptions, the beacon should be on except from MA = 128 to 160.  If you
can't hear it, wait 15 minutes and try again.  That will take care of any
unscheduled events.   Anything longer in duration than a few minutes will
be posted on the amsat-bb.

You may also wish to consider constructing a low power 2.4 GHz signal
source.  This is easy to do and has been discussed on the bulletin board in
the not too distant pass (? a few months).  Trolling through the archives
would probably turn something up.

Good luck with your antennas.