Re: FCC elevates hams to primary status, 2400-2402 MHz

On Monday 13 May 2002 12:33 pm, Mike Murphree wrote:
> On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 09:41:09AM -0700, Phil Karn wrote:
> > What wireless providers are those, and what technologies did they use?
>
> Local ISPes trying to overcome geographic constraints. I believe some
> of the equipment was made by Proxim.

Think Mike and Phil may not be talking about quite the same thing. A
local ISP (now merged into another) once used 2.0M bps unlicensed
wireless links to cross LATA's, avoid outrageous tarrifs, and provide
internet service to outlying areas. The service was still a local phone
call with standard modem but by the end they had a lot of local access
telephone numbers in rural areas where they were the only option.

At other times this ISP used their backup radios to provide internet
service to the floor of the local civic center. IIRC they provided
service during Hamfests, IEEE shows, and Intergraph User Group
meetings.

The RF links were the fairly common $6k to $10k high speed DES
encrypted products commonly marketed to businesses for linking
building's networks together. I used to know exactly what it was,
and am pretty sure it was not Proxim.

The ISP was Airnet.net, now owned by HiWAAY.net.

Currently HiWAAY offers wireless internet service. I gave serious
consideration to it at work but at the time the rates were beyond
cable modem rates but better than ISDN.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net