Re: AO-40 - RUDAK & RADAR

>Since Saturday, AO-40 has been experiencing very intense RADAR interference
>that makes commanding difficult on U-band and extremely difficult on
>L-band.

Can you characterize the radar interference? I.e., can you hear it in
the transponder downlink, or do you have other information on the type
of radar causing the interference?

A good coding and interleaving scheme can be extremely effective in
suppressing radar interference, especially when the radar duty cycle
is low and the pulses are short relative to a channel symbol time.
Each pulse is something like a sharp, deep fade, and coding can take
good care of those too.

If the radar pulses are significantly stronger than the desired
signal, there is simply no alternative to coding.

I will be demonstrating my proposed coding/interleaving scheme for the
AO-40 downlink at the AMSAT boot at Dayton.

--Phil