Re: pav pause

On Mon, 13 May 2002, Nick Pugh wrote:

> A little off subject however can some one tell me if the pav pause radar on
> 217.98 mhz is still operating in Texas?

It is the US Navy's Space Surveillance Network and it is 80 Meggawatts of
pure carrier radiating in a 0.2 degree wide FAN beam from horizon to
horizon from South Carolina to Arizona centered in Texas..  Anywhere in
north America you should be able to hear it as a Doppler ping anytime ANY
large satellite flies through it!  See the FENCE  LINE on any of the
APRSdos maps of the USA:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/photos/navspacesur.jpg

Just watch your favorite Satellite traking program and whenever  you
see a big satellite cross that line, point a 217.98, mhz SSB receiver at
that location in space and see if you hear the "ping"...

Happens thousands of times a day.  The MOON makes a nice slow ping (or so
I hear).

Remember, its 80 Meggawats of pure carrier at 217.98 MHz.  Plenty enough
of an EME array so that you can hear it..

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob