Re: FCC elevates hams to primary status, 2400-2402 MHz

On Monday 13 May 2002 03:13 am, Phil Karn wrote:

<SNIP>

> Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 20:29:09 -0400
> To: karn@ka9q.net
> From: "David P. Reed" <dpreed@reed.com>
> Subject: Re: IP: more on FCC Proposes Primary Status for Amateur
>   Service at 2.4 GHz
> Cc: dave@oldcolo.com, dewayne@warpspeed.com
>
> Thank you.  This is very helpful.
>
> Feel free to pass on my message to your ham friends.  I think hams could
> contribute greatly to demonstrating how new technology and approaches can
> allow much more efficient and cooperative sharing.   To my mind, that would
> be best done by lobbying the FCC to restructure the ham bands as a commons
> for innovation in scalable radio networking, using state of the art
> technology and protocol designs, software radios and experimental
> modulation, antennas, and power management.   Like the Internet, these new
> commons bands should not have a bar against commercial participation, as
> long as the commercial participants are barred from forming exclusive
> networks - i.e. they must interconnect and cooperate in use of spectrum.

I might have a lot more faith in this statement if there was some measurable
evidence that existing commercial Part 15 users were actually working with
each other to prevent harmful interference between services.

<SNIP>

> Date: Fri, 10 May 2002 14:58:22 -0600
> To: karn@ka9q.net
> From: Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
> Subject: Re: IP: more on FCC Proposes Primary Status for Amateur
>   Service at 2.4 GHz
>
> At 11:50 AM 5/10/2002, Phil Karn wrote:
> >However, the 2400-2402 segment is very important to the amateur
> >service as amateur radio satellites are already using it.  Users of
> >those amateur satellites are already encountering significant harmful
> >interference from Part 15 devices.
> >
> >You'll also find that the amateur allocation extends up to only 2450
> >MHz, while Part 15.247 devices can operate all the way up to 2483.5
> >MHz.  That leaves 802.11 channel 11, 2451-2463 MHz between first
> >nulls, completely outside the amateur band.
>
> And leaves no room if someone is already using that channel. This
> means that either there can be no choice of wireless ISPs within
> an area or that service will be badly degraded by interference.
>
> Sorry, Phil, but the narrow interests of amateur radio hobbyists should
> not trump those of the general public. It's already scandalous that
> they have been empowered to drown out, or remove, existing wireless
> broadband operators, costing families and small businesses their
> Internet access. Hams have been far too greedy about spectrum, and (IMHO)
> should be removed from all Part 15 bands.

Funny, but all the wireless providers in this area dried up and blew away
when cheap fiber arrived.  It still makes a lot of sense for mobile users,
but will their coverage areas ever fill in beyond what the cellular services
are currently offering?   The old packet radio networks had better coverage
than what most of the cellular providers do.  The cost to establish and
maintain those networks was substantial and the availability to location at a
commercial site has been minimal in recent years.

> Go ahead. I'll take some heat for sure, but I'm used to that. You might
> add that if the people lobbying for this were truly civic-minded, they'd
> WILLINGLY agree to forfeit licensed use of the Part 15 spread spectrum
> bands -- perhaps in return for use of the old "citizens' band," which now
> lies mostly unused.

ROTFLOL....   Part 15 seems to be the same deregulated mess as the
CB bands was in the '70s from here.

A lot of fuss for what little spectrum exists at 2400 MHz and they are already
using.  These people should be looking "UP"!

Mike