KC0KVA Re UO14

Well done on ur first try.
For this bird and also AO27 when it gets going again, u do not need large helicals.
For transmit and 'eggbeater' or a quarter wave with the top angled over is enough.
For receive on 70cms I use an HB9CV which is a small antenna with only about 3,5db gain, and with this set up I can work from UK to
U.S.

A program like Instantrack is very useful for plotting the satellites and a read of the literature on the Amsat columns is useful.
You will find that leaving the transmitter on the base frequency is okay, but on the receive side listen out 5 -10kHz higher and
follow the frequency down.
The 70 cm antenna is in the vertical plane for a lot of the time and only needs to be horizontal during fades,

Best of luck,
Mike
G3LGR
Mikehooles@BTinternet.com