SO-41 first time encounter

Myself (KCKVU) and KCMIE tried working SO-41 for the
first time during the May 12 0549z-0603z pass with a
homebrew 70cm receive yagi and 2m whip.  Naturally we
were elated that we heard anything at all.  Reception
was sporatic, but at times it was crystal clear- I
believe that building a helix antenna is now a must.

I was fortunate to hear N7EQ identify himself.  We
tried an uplink, however I was not able to hear
anything on the downlink.  If you happened to hear,
we'd certainly like to know we made it into the bird.
Hopefully, Monday night we will make a successful qso
using a different 2m antenna.  So now we are
officially hooked on satellites!

If you have any words of wisdom for a couple of
greenhorns, please feel free to share!

Adam,
KCKVU