SO-41 first timer operation

Myself (KCØKVU) and KCØMIE tried working SO-41 for the first time during the
May 12 0549z-0603z pass with a homebrew 70cm receive yagi and 2m whip.
Naturally we were elated that we heard anything at all.  Reception was
sporatic, but at times it was crystal clear- I believe that building a helix
antenna is now a must.  I was fortunate to hear N7EQ identify himself.
We tried an uplink, however I was not able to hear anything on the downlink.
If you happened to hear, we'd certainly like to know we made it into the
bird.  Hopefully, Monday night we will make a successful qso on a different
2m antenna.  So now we are officially hooked on satellites!
If anyone has words of wisdom for a couple of greenhorns, please feel free
to share.

Adam,
KCØKVU