Re: FCC elevates hams to primary status, 2400-2402 MHz

>From: "Wayne Estes W9AE" <w9ae@earthlink.net>
>The latest "ARRL letter" announces that the FCC has accepted the ARRL's
>petition to change the U.S. amateur 2400-2402 MHz allocation from secondary
>to primary.  Unfortunately, the ARRL letter states "The ARRL has expressed
>its belief that hams can continue to accommodate
>Part 15 and Part 18 devices at 2.4 GHz."
>
>Apparently all this rule change does is get government users away from
>2400-2402 MHz.
>
>Maybe we should write letters to the ARRL saying that we DON'T think hams
>can continue to accomodate Part 15 devices at 2.4 GHz.
>
>Wayne Estes W9AE
>Mundelein, IL, USA

This will indeed be a increasing problem for "weak signal" ham use in the
2.4 GHz band using conventional narrow band modulation techniques.  The
recent pending FCC action to elevate 2400-2402 to primary ham radio use is
admirable, but as John and Ray point out its a losing game.  Probably ARRL
is aware of this (or they think all ham radio use above 30 MHz is for
repeater use...tongue-in-cheek).  At least as a licensed primary user we
have (some) protection against being cited for interference with other users.

A couple comments about who will be affected...with billions of potential
new part-15/18 users...everywhere in America and most of the developed
world will start acquiring these wireless Lan devices.  So for satellite
operation to have future...it will take much higher Tx levels, bigger
antennas and probably radically new spread-spectrum or digital techniques
to afford performance in this environment.

As far as effectiveness of lobbying: there are plenty examples of a
minicule minority effectively lobbying, IF determined and vocal enough.
Until America becomes an 'oligarchy of industry', then I will stand up for
my rights!  You have the right to surrender when the barbarians are at your
gate...NOT ME!  Beat on my door in the night and prepare to receive 12-ga.
double-ought buckshot!  When they try to steal my licensed use of spectrum,
I will use every legal power at my disposal...maybe if there had been more
uproar over 40m something could have been done sooner...then HF is an
international political problem.  Microwave interference is an internal
economic struggle.  LEGAL users of radio spectrum have nothing to fear from
the FCC.  My experience in life is respect comes to those who stand tall
for their rights (its how the USA began).

If the 300 satellite users wrote letters you might be surprized...don't
forget to write your state senator and congressman who needs your vote!
NOT sure what effect writing ARRL will do?

Ed, AL7EB
BTW it impacts our use of 5.6 Ghz, too!