FCC elevates hams to primary status, 2400-2402 MHz

>Apparently all this rule change does is get government users away from
>2400-2402 MHz.
>
>Maybe we should write letters to the ARRL saying that we DON'T think hams
>can continue to accomodate Part 15 devices at 2.4 GHz.

First, this is just an NPRM - read the acronym - notice of PROPOSED
rulemaking.  Nothing has been adopted yet, it's just a proposal that is being
considered.  WE, Hams, might not get anything, nothing may change, depending
on how well we lobby versus the "other side" who have a larger vested
interest in the spectrum - aka government users, etc that now have PRIMARY
use of these freqs.  So who coined the subject line which is BOGUS, NOTHING
has been elevated yet.  HYSTERIA, bad journalism...

Second - okay, write letters, all 3 dozen or so Hams who will eventually
write and say, "Oh, please let us use AO-40 without any interference, my
neighbor's phone now wipes my downlink out..."

FACT OF LIFE - there are about 1+ million "Part 15 Wireless" users now, far
more than all the Hams in the world, and these are just the Part 15'ers in
the US.  How may Hams have ever heard of 2.4gHz?  Active?  Satellites with
uplinks/downlinks?  Right - a mere drop in the RF bucket.

So WHY can't we "continue to accommodate Part 15 devices"?  How many Hams
can't, have serious problems with it, wipe out their AO-40 receive?  We're
gonna need more than just conjecture and assumptions, we need numbers,
demographic studies, petitions, surveys, etc.  I think the biggest problems
are from Hams who choose to move to a location that is unfriendly to their
intended operations, but fail to consider this BEFORE they move there.  Or
don't take the traditional approach when they DO experience interference -
research, cooperation, education, etc.

We'll NEVER have even a FRACTION of enough clout to battle this.  WE SHOULD
BE GLAD THE ARRL HAS ACTED TO GET THIS MUCH ON OUR BEHALF.  QUIT GRIPING, use
it, enjoy it, and co-exist.  So where are all the people trying to shut down
the broadcast stations within the 40-meter band?  They impact far more than
the paltry few who are on the 2.4 satellite segment, but they realize it's a
losing battle.  Don't tug on Superman's Cape....

How about the TWO NEW BAND SEGMENTS being considered?  Maybe you don't care
about THAT, but don't ruin it for all the rest of us, it's much more far
reaching than a small chuck of microwave segment that just a few hams use
anyway, and we'll STILL HAVE regardless of this outcome.

73's
Ray - WB3ABN
Kingston, WA