Re: FCC elevates hams to primary status, 2400-2402 MHz

At 11:54 PM 5/10/2002 -0500, Wayne Estes W9AE wrote:
>The latest "ARRL letter" announces that the FCC has accepted the ARRL's
>petition to change the U.S. amateur 2400-2402 MHz allocation from secondary
>to primary.  Unfortunately, the ARRL letter states "The ARRL has expressed
>its belief that hams can continue to accommodate
>Part 15 and Part 18 devices at 2.4 GHz."
>
>Apparently all this rule change does is get government users away from
>2400-2402 MHz.
>
>Maybe we should write letters to the ARRL saying that we DON'T think hams
>can continue to accomodate Part 15 devices at 2.4 GHz.

It may get worse. I ran across this on Slashdot recently.

http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache:s_3kW3w2WIEC:www.strohpub.com/0701feat.htm

It describes something called Part 18 RF Lighting and is subtitled,

"A Potential "Extinction Level Event" For Communications Users Of The 2.4
GHz Band"

If this happens, we can write off 2.4G

-

John Rice  K9IJ