Re:Re: Info about OSCAR on Moon surface

Hi AMSATs,

Thank you for the information on my questions.
The moon surface is not a very nice enviorment as I read the data, but I
think it is not impossible to make an transponder that survives it.

1. The temperatures are between -200C in the shade and +200C in sunlight.

- My idea: Make some kind of movable sunlight shielding, so the OSCAR can
shield protect it self when overheated. When it cools down to much in the
shade, then the OSCAR can move away the shielding.
- Or make some kind of "sun-glasses" principle, that blocks most of the
sunlight, but not all.

2. About getting the OSCAR on the surface, I have not many knowledge in this
area. Maybe the OSCAR can be put into some inflatable bal, and bounce on the
moon surface. Like the "Path-finder" on mars did...

3. There is some el/az of the moon.

- There are many ways to have some az/el changings. On SHF an dish can be
used with an movable feed. Or use several antennas and change HF beam by use
of phase shiftings. On SHF this can be done at small size, but it take high
technology.

4. Light/Dark periods take 2 weeks each.

- The light period can be survived by some kind of sun shielding.
- The dark period is more a problem. Batteries will not survive long, so the
only option is a station working on solar cells, and at the dark period it
has to go into some kind of "winter sleep"
I don't know it transistors survive -200C, but I have seen some transistors
with storage temp. till -150C
When transistors with storage temps. till -200C are available, it must be
possible to construct an transponder with it.

- When transistor are absolute not possible, then why not make it in tube
technology ?? I do not mean only with commercial tubes, but tube TECHNOLOGY
in general. Transistors can not be made by amateurs, but tubes can be made
by amateurs for this special purpose :-)

PS: This is also the reason why I asked if there are high voltage solar
panels available. The only problem then is if they can survive the -200C

Tell me if you have some more ideas, or just what you think of it :-)

The easy things people always like to do, its are the difficult things that
make people think and find out new technology :-)

73 de PE1RAH, William
---