Re: PRIMESTAR RADOME

On Tuesday 07 May 2002 07:47, w7lrd@juno.com wrote:
> Hello
> I am a few days away from getting on AO-40.  Is it worth the effort to have
> a radome over the helix feeding the dish.  Does water (I live near Seattle)
> have an effect on the performance?  I have the origonal radome for the

Bob,

While I can't speak from long term experience (I've only been up and running
a week now) I too live near Seattle, (Mount Vernon).  I have a 1.2m Primestar
dish with a homebrew 6 turn helix. It's been up long enough to get used
through several heavy rains, including the freakish snow fall we had yesterday
and I've not noticed any degredation.  Signals seem about the same
regardless of if the helix is wet or not, I even turned the hose on it, and
after a good soaking it still worked the same.

> prime star feed assembly.  It could be fashioned to fit over the helix and
> sealed.  Also the down converter has an F connector, I will be feeding the
> DC up the coax.  Which type of coax are most of us using?  Thanks as

I'm using a good quality RG-6, cheap and easy to find, it's more than
adaquate for two meters and the converter has so much gain the little
bit of extra loss is actually welcome.

For pictures - see:
http://algedi.seatcp.net/~n7ipb/index.html

Ken,  N7IPB