Re: What is HAM radio and AMSAT?

well after talking with a newly licensed novice amateur at the local club. i
asked him what does he want to do with in amateur radio, anything technical
or just mess about on repeaters.

saddly he only wants to use repeaters, boasting that his only long distance
contact was 40 mile away.

saying that, hes talked to america before, on ilink, which he was also quite
pleased of :P.

not saying that what he is doing is bad, just its a bit sad to see that he
logs contacts that he makes over the net, what does he put in the freq box
on the log?
the ip :P.

just trying to move him over to working sats, but as with all new people to
sats (including me:) he thinks he needs about 100w, an eme type antenna
array and a great rig.

just wait till next monday when i bring my 4 ele 2m and 8ele 70cms :).

as far as im concered, this hobby is for experimenting.
messing about on fm repeaters and thinking ssb is for people with great
skill isnt what i would class as "experimenting":).

also, while im here, is anyone on the bb done the foundation licence
(england only :). thinking about doing just for the sake of it, and to use
hf of course :).

Speak to you later.
Scott Elliott
Scott@pieh0.co.uk