Re: AMSAT-BB Search Engine

At 09:33 AM 5/6/2002 +0000, Keith O'Brien wrote:
>Is there any reason that a search engine could not be applied to the
>AMSAT-BB archives?

I have looked for a satisfactory search solution, several times. I require
it to be free, fast, capable of doing exact phrase searches, and compatible
with the amsat.org system. As far as I could find a few months ago, there
is no released package that meets these criteria.

However, there is a new version of ht://Dig that should meet the
requirements, in beta test now. When that version releases, or sooner if I
get brave, I plan to implement search capabilities for the mailing list
archives, for ANS, and for the site as a whole.

In the meantime, if you're stubborn enough you can download all the daily
digest archives at http://www.amsat.org/amsat/ftp/archive/amsat-bb-digest/
or by FTP at ftp://ftp.amsat.org/amsat/archive/amsat-bb-digest/, and then
search through them on your own computer.

Alternately, AMSAT-UK has a search engine http://www.uk.amsat.org/search/,
and it indexes the AMSAT-NA site as well. You can use it to search AMSAT-BB.

73  -Paul
kb5mu@amsat.org