Re: commutating antennas (was snip)

>As near as I can figure, if there are only four bands used; 2m, 430
>MHz, 1.2 GHz and 2.4 GHz; then it would require one antenna on each
>face for each band.

I agree with Franklin. There's no good reason to have so many bands on
a spacecraft. I'd pick just two (one up, one down), chosen after a
system analysis that covers the ground station as well as the
spacecraft. This analysis is likely to push you well into the
microwave region.

The only good reason for any extra antennas or bands is to support
engineering operations during post-launch checkout when the spacecraft
may be in an arbitrary attitude where you can't rely on the high gain
antennas. E.g., simple whips on 70cm and 23cm to support telemetry and
commanding only.

Phil