Re: Elliptical/GTO and Eagle (Part II)

Bob, Gang

 Robert McGwier writes:

> let us assume for the moment that we can't afford that launch.
> Then do we have a single launcher anywhere that delivers such
> a long term survivable GTO perigee to an essentially non paying
> customer?

I understand the sentiment Bob. Its not unheard of, for the last payload left
on the booster, for some further burns to be made if fuel permits. Some of
the Fuji's did that. Also depends on how strongly the launch agency feels
about de-orbiting the booster after deployment; some treat this as vital,
others don't.

Of course, a solid fuel motor would get round this but, given that they want
to make Eagle as less-complicated as possible, this appears to be less than
desirable. Unless they make several Eagles and toss a new one up there every
couple of years.

I was a little concerned to see someone mention an FCC requirement for all
future satellites to have a de-orbit capability for end-of-life action.
Could complicate *lots* of projects. I'd like to see more info about this
(and who are FCC to mandate spacecraft capabilities ?); first I'd heard
about it.

73
Richard W L Limebear G3RWL
g3rwl@amsat.org