Re: commutating antennas (was Re: Canted S-band antennas on satellite)

> I believe that this summer is the 40th anniversary of the use of this
> technique on TELSTAR 1; this was the first satellite to send video from US
> to Europe.

Thanks for taking me down memory lane Tom!

I can clearly remember watching the live TV broadcast on the BBC from the UK
downlink station at Goonhilly Down in Cornwall (far west of England)

The first available pass when the French were reporting near perfect P5
pictures, the best that Uk Post Office could do was a watery P1 image on a
monitor on top of the equipment rack with a number of white coated engineers
watching and visibly scratching their heads.

A famous TV science commentator, Raymond Baxter filled in with a ever more
difficult voice over. Then came the horrible realisation that there had been
a mix up with the receive antenna polarisation. The dish feed had been built
LHCP when it should have been RHCP (or some such similar story).

The next pass had perfect pictures and ever since I have had this vision of
some poor engineer having to rebuild the dish feed and get up into the focus
of the ?80 foot dish to fix it before the damn satellite came over
again......

Maybe someone here knows the real story

cheers

Graham G3VZV

PS. and of course in those days whilst the US was using 525 lines, in the UK
we were still on 405 and in France the standard was 819 and frame store
converters hadn't been invented yet!