Aerial element diameters

Hello,

After much trial and error, not to mention frustration, I now have a 435 MHz
aerial that delivers a listenable signal from the FO satellites. Now I want
to improve on that with an aerial built from the NBS tables.

My question is: Does a formula exist that will allow me to calculate the
amount that I have to shorten the elements by where the diameter is larger
that specified? Here in Australia, the smallest diameter aluminium tubing
available to the general public is 10 mm (3/8 inch) and the tables specify
4.8 mm (3/16 inch).

Of course, the alternative is the trial and error method but I want to avoid
increasing my large stock of short lengths if possible.

--
Regards,
Phil