"Microsat" under a balloon

Hi Norm,
                This could be an interesting variation on your idea. How
long could a helium balloon survive at 100,000 feet? Very few  aircraft fly
above 60,000 feet and so collison risk would be very low. If the balloon had
APRS then its location could be available to airtraffic controlers and
pilots via say NOTAMS or the various equivanents in other countries.

    Predicting passes would be more difficult but the passes would be quite
long. Is there much wind at that altitude anyway? Would it stay in close to
a fixed position?

A balloon hovering at 100,000 feet above your place would have line of sight
for 440 km in all directions.

regards,
Murray Peterson
VK2KGM