Re: Flight Computers

On Wed, 01 May 2002 15:06:55

iPhl Karn wrote:

>Whenever somebody says they need "real time support", I'm always
>curious to know just what they mean. Obviously, if you don't have
>enough total cycles to run all your applications, you need a faster
>CPU, not a real-time OS.

Indeed. I haven't seen one word in this thread that justifies
a real time OS. Timely processing, yes. Real time, no.

Processing data quickly is not what a real time OS does.
Nor is getting results ASAP. A real time OS provides
predictable response times - which may not even be very
fast (though they often are), but they *are* predictable.

This was a standard interview question at my employers.
I've gotten some really interesting answers to it.

Grid: CN89lg                    pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.57 N 123 0.24 W        - Hospital/Shafte