RE: Re: AMSAT O-E

Some of the newer flexible panels are quite "neat" but if you check
in detail, their efficiencies are only like 5% as compared to the
"normal" 15% or "high efficiency" 28% units.

However, if durability and price are issues many times more of these
inefficient cells can be cheaper than less of the more efficient ones.

In space, however, extra mass is expensive, so all of this has to be
traded off.

The newer polymorphic type cells are very flexible, but less efficient, and
most have shorter lives (Example:  5 yrs vs 10 yrs).  I'd assume the
"paintable on" kind has these characteristics.  But another thought I had is
to use a  polymer type "inefficient cell" in a tight roll that could be
rolled out like a window shade.  Sort of like having a 50' streamer of cells
trailing behind a sat.  Whether or not from a mass/cost perspective it would
work out?  I'm not enough of an expert to know..

For an example of this type of cell, take a look at
http://www.iowathinfilm.com

Fred W0FMS