Flight Computers

All,

On April 29th I sent the message (below) with a copy to amsat-bb. I am
working on the design of the new AMSAT OSCAR-E satellite and there are a
number of open issues that will need to be addressed, this being only
one. I have sent out a call for volunteers and received a number of

The results have been phenomenal! In just a few days there has been a
lively discussion covering a wide range of options.  I have spent hours
on the phone and in private e-mails with people who have particular
interests in this area. I have learned a great deal.

Thank you!  I want you to know that AMSAT is listening to your inputs
(or at least I am). There are so many messages that I can't possibly
respond to them all.

The conclusions, so far:

1) RTLinux will not run on the V53 flight computer and an open source
version of RTLinux is not currently available for the ARM-based payload
processor, either.

2) RTEMS is a strong candidate if we can get someone to volunteer to
work on a trial port.

3) Otherwise, SCOS is the only way to go for the flight computer.

As for other options, there are many.  The most interesting may be JAVA
engines like the TINI board.  My experience with my two TINI boards
suggests that the technology is not ready for space. However, JAVA may
be a strong candidate for control station software, which is now written
largely for DOS.

I hope that by putting issues like this out to the amsat-bb list members
will have the opportunity to participate more fully in the design
decisions for new satellites.

Rick
W2GPS