Re: Special Bulletin - new satellite

 Gary,

 As far as I'm concerned, I find this a very narrow vision of Amateur
Satellite Operation. If satellites are only to talk to each other then why
did we leave the HF radio bands at all? Why did we go to VHF and UHF. In HF
you can have almost global coverage for long periods!

  I thought HAM Satellites served to evolve communication technology and to
present new challenges to hams. But instead I see that they only serve as a
cheap alternative to cell phones?!

  Yes I know there will be other new experiments on board, but I think that
including an FM repeater in the package is just going the wrong direction of
evolution. Don't you see the hopless problems FM repeaters in orbit present?

FM repeaters are a bad practice in orbit: you are spoiling satellite
operators, giving them this kind of payloads. Maybe someday you will regret
these decisions when all operators are savage and ruthless as some are today
on UO-14. And then perhaps AMSAT will put a new high tech bird with a fancy
transponder on the air, and discover that it is all a confusion and no one
can make a useful contact without being jammed because everybody is used to
the FM repeater war, jam and mischief.

Would you like that all data on the internet in the Continental U.S. would
pass through the same wire regardless of where it came from? Or that there
was only one phone line for each State, so that all people would call at the
same time?

 The more I think the less I understand this attitude. How can you people see
the kind of technology that is being used today commercially and military,
and then just walk away in other direction down to 1950?
Amateur Radio Satellites used to be new communication experiments that many
times gave birth to new widespread communication technologies. But now you
want to turn them into orbiting museums. Think about it. This is not the way
you are going to attract fresh new people for AMSAT membership.

And Gary, you should know that many times the most popular solution is not
the best. And don't tell me that "if we force something else they will
leave". If the thing you force is better, then that won't be true! See AO-40
S band transponder. See PSK-31 on HF, etc

Best regards

Claudio