RE: Special Bulletin - new satellite

Tom,

Many of the complaints in the amsat-bb are due to the fact that there is
not enough public information to make people comment on facts, and not on
assumptions. The feeling many people have is that a small group of people
make the decisions without the participation of the community. I believe it
would be of extreme value if the community were involved in the brain storm
sessions of what type of technology would be preferable for the next
satellite project. There will be certainly religious disagreements and
lots of controversies, but something should emerge and that will probably
please the majority.

Take for example the current development of the Linux kernel. It is a very
large endeavor and complex task, but not only the development model is
working (although quite different from academical models), but the
community is always providing input and feed back. Most importantly,
people feel involved and free to contribute if they have the capability.
For an organization like AMSAT, I believe that more people would be
willing to become members if they would have something to make them feel
involved.

An open discussion would also contribute to the education of those of us
who have some interest for the technical side of things.

This is not a critique, but a suggestion based on observation.

73,

-- Edson, 7n4ncl