Re: Special Bulletin - new satellite

On Thursday 25 April 2002 20:28, Dan James wrote:
>[...]
> Dr. Tom Clark, W3IWI, AMSAT-NA BOD member and one of the "spark
> plugs" for the original MICROSAT project noted that, "The last major
> program that AMSAT-NA managed was the MICROSATS and this is a
> superb chance for us to update that legacy with all-new technology." He

   Sorry, but I don't see where the new technology is. Sending another FM
repeater to orbit is not going to make the money of a new bus be well spent.
This is sad.

> [...]
> AMSAT is very proud of its long tradition of excellence and the
> contributions it has made to the advancement of space communications,
> space education and the space sciences. AMSAT-OSCAR E will be a
> new vehicle for Amateur Radio to continue that quest for
> communications technologies for future generations.

  You call putting an almost useless FM repeater on orbit "quest for
communications technologies for future generations"? This is going backward!

 Excuse me for these harsh words (you can flame me...;-), but I'm sure I'm
not not the only one that feels that this is a waste of time and of what
could be a very good new satellite.

Best regards

Claudio