Re: Question about AO-40 telemetry

  OK, since almost nobody understands the meaning of my question, and maybe
thinks it is some kind of information gatering attempt from a cracker
wanna-be trying to take over a satellite, I'll reformulate my question!

  So let's just forget about AO-40!

  Imagine that I've been assigned the task of building a communications
and/or OBDH system payload for a satellite. Er... imagine it is a student or
amateur project or something like that. I searched a while but didn't come up
with information. So I decide to rely on my faithful ham coleagues on
AMSAT-BB to get any info about the topic "how is command station
authentication usually done?". I just thought that some of them might have
some knowledge about that and could tell me how it is done in some sats, or
maybe used to be done, etc...

  Does this help clarify the matter a bit? I asked it only for the sake of
the good old Ham Radio practice of sharing knowledge and helping each other
on our projects.

I suppose that if such a simple matter is to become taboo then maybe there is
something wrong. Or maybe my only mistake was to speak about something for
which AMSAT builders gave little thought about in their past satellite
projects, although I find this hard to believe.

  My intention was not to cause any type of satellite security danger, but
the matter is too simple and too important to just be labeled taboo...

On Friday 19 April 2002 23:42, Rick Fletcher wrote:
> One of the first principles of security is to throw as many obstacles as
> possible in the path of the would-be attacker - this includes "obscurity".
> Its a lot harder to hit something when you can't "see" it.

  Rick, what about people that live some miles from the command stations in
US, UK, Australia? Are you sure they "can't see it"? I believe that, unless
command stations are using some of the newer Spread-Spectrum techniques, it
is rather easy to spot the command uplink with a receiver or scanner, if you
are pacient enough. It's not hard to guess when and where that uplink will be
provided that you have some keps and are subscribed to amsat-bb.

 This makes me remind some time ago when people thought that e-mails and IRC
conversations etc. on the Internet were safe and private and none could see
them. Until they found out that TCP/IP packets don't have any kind of
encryption and that anyone who has access to a router can eavesdrop on
communication. Then they became horrified about simple tools like the ones
used by FBI to read people's e-mail. These tools absolutely don't have
anything special about them! This is called being naive... But thats another
talk anyway...

Best regards

73 de CT3KD

Claudio