Re: OT Predict/gsat

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002 18:40:14 +0000
Jim Jerzycke <kq6ea@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Hi, everybody. Have any of you succeeded in getting the gsat GUI to work
> with Predict? I keep getting syntax errors when it tries to start, and
> it looks like it can't read the xml file that gsat generated. I've got
> all the correct packages installed (I think!), but it still crashes.
> Sorry to be OT!
> Tnx es 73 Jim  KQ6EA

Hi Jim,

I am Xavier Crehueras EBCZS, the author of gsat. I know of one bug in gsat 0.9.0 that makes gsat display bad information and behave strangely. This is because gsat is not locale aware and there is one function call that sets the locale from the LANG environment variable. This function call was left in the main() by glade (the program used to design the GUI).

There are 2 solutions to this:

- Edit gsat-0.9.0/src/main.c and locate the line that reads:

      gtk_set_locale ();

  and delete it, or comment it as in:

  /*    gtk_set_locale (); */

  Then recompile and reinstall gsat.

- Execute gsat setting the LANG environment variable to en_US as in:

  LANG=en_US ; gsat &

I prefer the first option, but you can do a fast test with the second.

If this doesn't work for you, can you send me the exact errors. gsat doesn't generate any xml file and package requirements are gtk+ 1.2 and of course predict.

Please contact me if you have any more questions about gsat.

73s de Xavi EB3CZS