Re: Ultimate DX

I can't remember if it was Voyager 1 or 2, which shows how well my
memory is working these days, but IIRC, Voyager 2 was the one that got
gravity boosts from Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune, got full-color
photos of Uranus' ring system and Neptune's dark spot, and after
slingshot passes by the four gas giants became the fastest moving object
ever launched from Earth, and by now I think it's the most distant
manmade object in existence -- I think it passed the heliopause not too
long ago and is now considered to be in interstellar space.

I could be wrong about all of this though.  Yes, I believe both Voyagers
are still transmitting -- they have *huge* high-gain antennas and
probably have a much tighter beam than Pioneer 10.  I know Arecibo was
using Pioneer 10 to calibrate the Gregorian feed until they lost the
signal last year, I think ..

On Monday, March 4, 2002, at 02:15 PM, Gary "Joe" Mayfield wrote:

> Not to belittle Pioneer 10.  Isn't Voyager 1 the furthest man-made
> object?
> I was also under the impression they are still in regular contact with
> both
> Voyagers.
>
> 73,
> Joe