AO-40 Satellite RF Architecture Question

1. Why is AO-40's transponder described as having receivers and
transmitters when nothing is apparently demodulated? There is an IF to
which I would assume downconvertors and upconvertors are interfaced like
any other bent pipe transponder..

2. Why do I see little discussion of the HELAPS (sp?) power amplifiers?
What are these? Are they an Envelope Elimination and Restoration
technique? How does HELAPS work?

3. Did HELAPS achieve the efficiency and linearity required for the
mission? Would HELAPS be used on a new mission like "JJ"?

--
Joe Leikhim K4SAT
Jleikhim@nettally.com

Sky King, Sky King, do not answer.