Transponder up time ?

Stacy and /or ground control stations:
Is there a power constraint or other factors that require the bird to be up
for such restricted periods?
In my portable location here in FL and with the bird only providing limited
favorable squints, it is a real kick in the head to be an hour through a 3
hour favorable window only to have the transponder taken down.  If there is
not a great reason to the contrary, couldn't the up schedule be predicated
on reasonable squints, not MAs. I know that all portions of the earth plate
do not see the same squints, but I think that we could open up much more of
the pass if that was a consideration.
Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Gunther Meisse
W8GSM