Re: [sarex] ISS Questions & Comments

On Sunday, February 17, 2002, at 02:22 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> On Sun, 17 Feb 2002, Charlie Schlieper wrote:
>
>> Scott may have said what many of us wanted to say,
>> but didn't.  And he did it in a very nice way!
>
> I'm not sure everyone would agree with that last assessment.
>
>>      There's obviously a problem somewhere, and no
>> one wants to say where.  We have all been very patient.
>
> I donno, this "problem" has been well known and thoroughly described
> over and over here.  But for those that have missed it, here is another
> rendition..
>
> The problem of "NOCALL" is that you don't just unplug one of the very
> critical LAPTOPS on the ISS which is running multi-million dollar
> experiments and risk data, damage, and other problems and then sling it
> around in a weightless environment carrying it through several modules
> just to fix something that is not broken...

And the converse of that problem is spending $10K+/lb putting another
laptop up there to use as a dedicated console, getting it and its
software and support components checked out and certified by NASA, and
working out the details of how, where, and when to get it installed and
working so it doesn't endanger any other hardware on the station or take
up too much of the crew's time at almost $1M/hour ..

"Go ahead and do it, you can apologize later." -- RADM Grace Hopper,
1906-1992
"The sunset is an illusion, but the beauty is real." -- Richard Bach