Re: Re: Best HT for UO-14 ?

> The best HTs for UO-14 (and AO-27) that I've seen are the Yaesu FT-530
> and its predecessor, the FT-470, because, when used with headphones or,
> better yet, a boom-mic headset, they allow you to monitor the downlink
> while transmitting... Unfortunately, neither is in current production...

If you are going to buy new, consider the Kenwood D7 which not only does
all the above, but also has built in TNC's for 1200 and 9600 baud  AND
built-in displays of APRS and DX cluster and possibley IRLP formatted data
directly on the  HT.  Thus you more than triple the number of satellites
you can work from your shirtpocket by  adding the digital ISS, PCsat,
Sapphire, and UO22.

In addition, you can do these things:
1) QSY to your local DX cluster and see all DX spots!
2) QSY to 144.39 in North America and communicate with the world on APRS
3) On 144.39 your radio will show AZ, dist, & Freqs of any sats in view
4) On 144.39 once evy 10 mins you will get a sat sked for the next 80 mins
5) Send one-line EMAIL anywhere in the world via 144.39 or the APRS Sats
6) QSY to your local IRLP frequency and the radio *will be able to*
   display the NODE status of all the IRLP nodes recently accessed from
   your node! (This is experimental, see the AVRS web page)

DETAILS:
*Satellites          see:  http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/pcsat.html
#2,3,4,5             see:  http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/astars.html
#3 covers many areas see:  http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/satinfo.html
#6 under development see:  http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/avrs.html

Think of these digital display HT's as HAM radio's WIRELESS TINY WEB PAGES
and think of the worldwide APRS system as the worldwide HAM RADIO
INTERNET.  As long as you format data to fit on the screen, you can send
ANYTHING of interest to the end user...

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob