Re: Re: First-Hand Information abt. MAROC-TUBSAT

Dan:

Well if they spent the money on their satellite that NASA spends YEARLY on
Hubble then you might have a point.  My guess is that Hubble burns
(including its shuttle revisits, the TDRS constellation time that it takes
etc etc) in about half a day what they spent on this entire thing.

This does open a really good question about using the amateur frequencies to
downlink things that have nothing to do with amateur radio...like the folks
who want to send an "amateur" satellite to Mars and use amateur frequncies
to downlink data.  What does that have to do with amateur radio?

Apparantly they have taken the bird off the air on those frequencies.

Why not drop it?

Robert

Well I sure dont see a problem using Ham freqs for sats in orbit around
MARS. Seeing that ham equipment is alot cheaper.. it can make sense to keep
costs down.. and inturn gives you a neat weak signal to work on making
sensitive receivers.. besides its like a honor to me that they would use ham
freqs. I dont forsee any interference coming from Mars anytime soon. BUT
there is no excuse to using ham freqs where it will cause interference. All
kinds of frequencies are used every day but people who are not license to
use them.. Cable companies do it every day. Sure its a closed system but
they still use all kinds of freqs. Never looked but I think ethernet is the
same way. ADSL uses some freqs way down there.. 100KHz so its not like its
not done every day.

My point is that there are times where using someone elses freq is perfectly
fine.. Mars is one.. just so long as it cant interfer with others.. I think
this is kinda what you are talking about.

As for taking the sat off of the ham freqs.. If it has a vhf (144.1), uhf
(436??? cant remember where the data was located) and the 2.2GHz PAL
downlink.. at what point do they stop using ham freqs? Sure they can
downlink the PAL all day long but the sat is useless without commanding and
telemetry. Unless they can shift their command/telem to the 2.2GHz TX'er..
then this sat will continue to be a problem for hams till its shutoff
forever.. abandoned, deorbited, or in some way handed over to use by hams. I
think that others might like this option but if the sat continues to be used
for commerial use.. then say in a year its give over.. that would say to
some that its ok to use our freqs for whatever you wish aslong as its handed
over to us when your done.. This might be a bad idea. So if it cant use
other freqs to do its work it should be shut off.. or if it was truely a
hamsat from the beginning.. then say so and open it up..

My 2 pennies worth.. Tim VE5TNC