Re: Re: First-Hand Information abt. MAROC-TUBSAT

Dan:

Well if they spent the money on their satellite that NASA spends YEARLY on
Hubble then you might have a point.  My guess is that Hubble burns
(including its shuttle revisits, the TDRS constellation time that it takes
etc etc) in about half a day what they spent on this entire thing.

This does open a really good question about using the amateur frequencies to
downlink things that have nothing to do with amateur radio...like the folks
who want to send an "amateur" satellite to Mars and use amateur frequncies
to downlink data.  What does that have to do with amateur radio?

Apparantly they have taken the bird off the air on those frequencies.

Why not drop it?

Robert

>From: Dan Schultz <n8fgv@AMSAT.Org>
>To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
>Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: First-Hand Information abt. MAROC-TUBSAT
>Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2002 21:15:36 -0500
>
>Norbert, DF5DP, wrote:
>
> >Today I found the phone number of Prof. Renner at Technical University
> >Berlin (TUB), Germany, who is the head of the TUBSAT team. I called him
>by
> >phone and got the information I give below:
> >MAROC-TUBSAT is a joint project of TUB and a Moroccan group at Rabat.
>This
> >group was responsible for the choice of frequencies. They told him,
>that
> >they were radio amateurs, and the frequencies were OK and coordinated.
>He
> >relyed on their word.
>
> >He again told me, that the Moroccan group told him, that they were
>radio
> >amateurs, and all this was OK within the rules of amateur radio. The
>head of
> >the Moroccan group is a high-rank General in the King's staff. His name
>is
> >Benslimane. Callsign is unknown to TUB.
> >I'd like to emphasize, that Prof. Renner spoke with me in a very
> >constructive and agreeable way. He several times said, that he
>obviously was
> >bad-advised and he regrets the problems caused to the radio amateurs.
>He
> >feels very sorry about this.
>
>A fellow who is in the business of selling satellites to other
>countries' governments ought to know at least a few rudimentary things
>about licensing their transmitters with proper authorities.
>
>I'm a radio amateur, and  I work in the Hubble Space Telescope control
>center. Does that make it OK for NASA to downlink Hubble data on ham
>radio frequencies because they have a ham working on their staff?
>
>Dan Schultz N8FGV
>
>----

Robert Oler WB5MZO Houston TX