qrm from local repeater

on this evenings pass of uo-14 (0215z) there was qrm that appeared to be the
clear lake amateur radio repeater (442.75 MHz). problem is that they have no
links to 2m.

when i listened on the input of the satellite (145.975), i heard the clear lake
repeater full scale.  i got on the clarc machine and asked them to cease
operations immediately. which they did. the qrm on uo-14 ceased at the same
time.

after the uo-14 pass, we started transmitting on the clarc machine and the
145.975 repeat started up again. we now have 4 or 5 cars in the field dfing the
signal. jerry, k5oe, and myself used our beams to get a starting point for the
df cars. based on jerry and myself, the signal is about 25 miles from jerry and
about 15 miles from me.

we have determined that whatever is repeating the signal is operating with vox
control because when the repeater drops, the carrier drops on the 145.975
frequency.

scott, kd5fba, said he heard a repeater id on the morning pass of uo-14. it
appears that this has been going on all day but we really didn't know about it
until this evening. we would not have known about it tonight except that clarc
has their weekly net at 8pm cst on wednesdays. just so happens there was a
satellite pass.

i will keep you informed of the findings of the df teams.

73...bruce

Bruce Paige, KK5DO                                      kk5do@arrl.net
Houston, Texas
AMSAT VP-User Services & Awards Manager
Houston AMSAT Net - Tuesday, 8PM CST on W0KIE AMC-7, T5,
7.5Mhz