Re: circular polarized Arrow antenna

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002, Estes Wayne-W10191 wrote:

> Today I ordered a split-boom Arrow antenna to use for demos at hamfests,
> and also hopefully for portable AO40 operation.

I am curious when you receive it if you would comment on where it is cut
in half.  I bought the full size and cut my boom just above the 2m driven
element so that the antenna can be used as a "half-antenna"...

That is, 2 elements on 2m and 4 elements on UHF.  (light and easy to hold)
But anytime I need the added gain of 3 elements on 2m and 7 elements on
UHF, I can just stick on the other half.  But it is fully usable as just
half an antenna and works well enough most of the time.

Last I heard ARROW makes the "split-boom" model by simply cutting the boom
exactly in half.  THus it cannot be used at all as a "half-antenna"
because only  the 2m reflector stays with the bottom half...  In
otherwords, it is all or none.

I suggested to him that just moving the cut a few inches to just above
the feed diplole makes all the difference..  Just curious if he offers
that option

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob