RE: circular polarized Arrow antenna

Hello Wayne

> The objective is to have a circular-polarized AO40
> uplink antenna that can be easily disassembled to
> fit in a suitcase.  Is there an easier way to get
> a "traveler's" CP antenna than converting 2 Arrow
> antennas into a single CP 70cm antenna?

IMHO yes it's worth having CP as the boom is a lot shorter.

Check out http://www.g6lvb.com/brollydish2.htm (forgetting the umbrella bit
of course!) which shows how I placed two homebrew WA5VJB
(http://www.clarc.org/Articles/uhf.htm) 8 element 70cm antennas on the same
boom for portable operations. There's some better pics and description of
the CP of the yagi at http://www.g6lvb.com/el/Entry%20Level%20AO.pdf on
pages 11 and 12.

The wooden boom I used for the yagi is cut in two with a fiberglass rod
glued into one half and a hole in the other half to plug the two halves
together. Makes the boom a nice small size for carrying. The othe rbenefit
is that on good squint occasions you only need one half of the yagi - that
is 4+4 elements RHCP for armchair QSOs with 50W and a short length (12') of
RG58.

I worked many armchair QSO's with the 4+4 ele version of the yagi and 50W at
the 2001 AMSAT Space Symposium last October. 8+8 ele is of use during the
less optimum situations.

These antennas are quite well travelled, having been to seven different
countries so far.

73 Howard G6LVB